March is Colon Cancer Awareness month, and on a recent segment of Your Health First, Dr. Joe Galati dedicated a segment to review some o the basic facts regarding colon cancer, as well as colonoscopy and the need to be screened starting at age 50 years old.
by Dr. Joe Galati on 04/07/2013
by Dr. Joe Galati on 09/18/2012
by Dr. Joe Galati on 06/01/2012
Colon cancer screening with colonoscopy saves lives. But, the bowel prep must be good enough that we can see the lining of the colon, searching for colon polyps, that may lead to colon cancer. A poor prep, where we cannot see the bowel wall, is useless. Directions to the prep must be followed 100%, or you get results like these…and you need to repeat the process all over again.
The brief video below shows you what it should not look like. The key to a good bowel prep is following the directions. Period.
by Dr. Joe Galati on 09/11/2011
I recently had the opportunity to remove a large colon polyp from a young man who presented with rectal bleeding. Thinking it was a hemorrhoid, he delayed seeking treatment. Once we did the colonoscopy, it becomes very clear what this is…a huge colon polyp, that if left along, likely would have turned to colon cancer.
Enjoy the video. Comments are always welcomed.
by Dr. Joe Galati on 03/09/2010
March is Colon Cancer Awarenessmonth. One of the methods for screening for colon cancer is a colonoscopy. For most patients, there is anxiety over the need to take the bowel preparation, which is a sometimes bad tasting solution that is consumed the day before the procedure. Technology has improved, and the products we use at Liver Specialists of Texas are much improved, and most patients do not complain too much.
There is a podcast on the Liver Specialists of Texas website that outlines the specific directions for the bowel prep we use. In all cases, consult with your own physician regarding the bowel prep they request. Listen to the podcast posted below.
PODCAST: Download Bowel Prep Instructions
by Dr. Joe Galati on 03/07/2010
March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month.
Listen below to an audio file from Dr. Galati regarding general issues related to colon cancer.
- The MELD Score and Liver Transplant: An Update for Patients 02/02/2011
- Waiting for a Liver Transplant: My MELD Score is Low-Now What? 06/14/2012
- Telaprevir and FDA Approval: The Race is On for New Hepatitis C Drugs 02/28/2011
- Watch Dr. Joe Galati in the KTRH Studio: Your Health First 03/12/2017
- Hepatitis C Education for the Public: 31 Days of Wellness 01/24/2017
- 31 Days of Wellness: Texas to Raise the Legal Smoking Age to 21-Dr. Joe Galati Discusses 01/18/2017
- Candy Ide: I have a 28 year old daughter that has autoimmune ...
- Dr. Joe Galati: Many factors go into liver transplant evaluation.....
- Vickie Konanz: I discovered I had liver cirrhosis 3 years ago aft...