Our latest video covers the basic aspects of alcohol related liver disease, and the complications of excessive alcohol intake. In general, there are three areas of concern: 1. The development of alcoholic fatty liver disease 2. The development of acute alcoholic hepatitis 3. Alcoholic cirrhosis The major point to understanding is that all alcoholic drinks […]
by Dr. Joe Galati on 07/05/2014
by Dr. Joe Galati on 09/29/2013
by Dr. Joe Galati on 09/26/2013
A segment that I recorded for this weeks Your Health First was with Dr. Howard Monsour. who’s the Chief of hepatology at Houston Methodist. In this two-part interview, we discussed various aspects of alcoholic liver disease, effects of acetaminophen on the liver, and the difference between men and women in their alcohol consumption. As noted […]
by Dr. Joe Galati on 07/21/2013
While still on vacation this week, I received news from my murse that one of our patients who has Wilsons Disease received his liver transplant. It was quite a relief for the patient, his family, and all of us taking care of him that his transplant took place. In this particular case, the neurologic effects […]
by Dr. Joe Galati on 03/22/2013
For those patients awaiting a liver transplant, the MELD score, which is a number calculated by evaluating the bilirubin, creatinine, and INR, is what the allocation of donor livers is based on. The higher the MELD score, the more likely you will get a liver transplant. At the same time, the higher the MELD score, […]
by Dr. Joe Galati on 02/02/2011
Patients awaiting transplant commonly have questions regarding there MELD score, and how this number is determined. As you can imagine, there is great anxiety in patients awaiting transplant. At almost every clinic visit, patients are asking for they’re updated score. In my own practice, at every visit we calculate the new score and discussed this result with […]
- Telaprevir and FDA Approval: The Race is On for New Hepatitis C Drugs 02/28/2011
- The MELD Score and Liver Transplant: An Update for Patients 02/02/2011
- Waiting for a Liver Transplant: My MELD Score is Low-Now What? 06/14/2012
- Harvoni: Points to Consider 10/23/2014
- New Hepatitis C Drug Harvoni FDA Approved: Information for Patients 10/21/2014
- New Hepatitis C Drug is FDA Approved: Harvoni (Combo Lepidasvir and Sofosbuvir) 10/10/2014
- Chuck Garcia: On a recent stroll through the supermarket aisles,...
- K Beecher: Hello. My husband was 24 to 48 hours away from dy...
- Firdous Ahmad: Dear Dr, My mother have hepatitis C, and she also ...