For those patients awaiting a liver transplant, the MELD score, which is a number calculated by evaluating the bilirubin, creatinine, and INR, is what the allocation of donor livers is based on. The higher the MELD score, the more likely you will get a liver transplant. At the same time, the higher the MELD score, […]
by Dr. Joe Galati on 03/22/2013
by Dr. Joe Galati on 02/02/2011
Patients awaiting transplant commonly have questions regarding there MELD score, and how this number is determined. As you can imagine, there is great anxiety in patients awaiting transplant. At almost every clinic visit, patients are asking for they’re updated score. In my own practice, at every visit we calculate the new score and discussed this result with […]
by Dr. Joe Galati on 03/17/2008
Those of us involved in solid organ transplantation are faced with a question daily. That question is “when am I getting my liver?” The question is posed by patients, their family, or interested friends. In every case, I have to say, “I just don’t know, it depends on your MELD score”. And that’s the truth. […]
- Telaprevir and FDA Approval: The Race is On for New Hepatitis C Drugs 02/28/2011
- The MELD Score and Liver Transplant: An Update for Patients 02/02/2011
- Waiting for a Liver Transplant: My MELD Score is Low-Now What? 06/14/2012
- Grazoprevir and Elbasvir: New Hepatitis C Treatment Options with High Cure Rates 11/11/2014
- Liver Transplant with Donors Over 80 Years Old Do Well 11/09/2014
- Olysio and Sovaldi Now Approved for Hepatitis C 11/07/2014
- Chuck Garcia: On a recent stroll through the supermarket aisles,...
- K Beecher: Hello. My husband was 24 to 48 hours away from dy...
- Firdous Ahmad: Dear Dr, My mother have hepatitis C, and she also ...